Get in touch

Beverley, East Yorkshire HU17 7QH

Phone: 01482 881 203

Heating engineers in court over asbestos

A Stockport heating engineering firm was sentenced after two of its engineers were exposed to asbestos while working at a Manchester school.

Healthy Lung

Trafford Magistrates’ Court heard Flueclean was contracted to replace boilers in the boiler room of the school.

However, two of Flueclean’s gas engineers were exposed to asbestos when they took the side panels off boilers which had asbestos insulation on the boiler casing.

Stockport based Flueclean Installations Services pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 6(1) and 11(1) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and was fined £4000 for each breach with £3517 costs.

HSE inspector Kevin Jones said after the hearing: “Asbestos is the greatest cause of work related deaths in the UK with over 4000 deaths arising from past exposure.

“Contractors have a duty to ensure they protect their workers from the risk of exposure to asbestos and must properly plan any work which is likely to disturb it.

“In this case, Flueclean Installations Services Limited failed to carry out a suitable and sufficient risk assessment which if they had would have clearly identified that the work should have been carried out by a licensed asbestos contractor. As a result of this failing, two of their operatives were exposed to asbestos.”

If you need asbestos awareness training, then contact me to arrange a course, training is mandatory not an option. Click on the Contact Us Button above.

2018-01-13T17:57:04+00:00 January 13th, 2018|Asbestos exposure|Comments Off on Heating engineers in court over asbestos